shabby blogs design

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Making more card kits - this time for the Women's Retreat

So for someone who does not call themself a card maker (AT ALL), I've somehow gotten involved in 2 different occasions of making card kits for groups of women.... hmmm.... In March I was asked my mother in law to do a card craft for her church's ladies night out, and this month I'm involved in putting together 240, yes, that number is right - 200 more kits than the ones for last month's card night. March's was 20 cards each for 2 designs. This month is 60 cards each of 4 designs. I was asked to help another lady at church with this craft project for the ladies at our church's Women's Retreat next weekend (who, this is funny, :) - doesn't make cards EITHER!!)- apparently being the Creative Activities/Craft Coordinator at our MOPS group gets you a reputation for being creative... Let me be honest, I get a lot of ideas from other people- online, books, magazines, blogs- VERY rarely my own- and certainly not cards... So I find it somewhat funny that for someone who doesn't make cards (I scrapbook and do other assorted crafts), I've started to have to dabble in card making. My motive (or lack of motive in this adventure) is that I'm a perfectionist and I don't like doing things that require a lengthy learning curve because there's no guarantee that I'm going to GET good at something, and I don't have an abundance of time to just flail at something... bad attitude I know! I can take an idea and run with it, but I don't tend to run too far. Anyhow, it amuses me in an odd way- the lady who is working on the cards with me has a good laugh about it too- 2 ladies together trying to put together nice cards for 60 women when we don't have a whole lot of experience doing it. Fortunately I have a lot of pictures printed out and sketches from online to at least use ideas from. Today I showed my friend Rebecca the 4 cards we'd come up with- she's been in Stampin Up! so she's done card parties and such and had experience with what people tend to want to do when they make cards and stamping and such. I also value her opinion a lot on whether something looks hokey or actually nice and something someone else might want to do. She liked all the cards we had, and gave some creative suggestions to help with some finishing details that I wanted advice on. She's also honest, which when you want the truth about something, she's not going to feed you a bunch of hooey, she'll tell it like she sees it, without trying to be too rude about it. So anyhow, we're just about done putting the pieces of the kits together, and now I just need to look for some ribbon for one of them in a color that works better than white, and get the adhesives... lots of work- I'm very glad I had a partner in it! I was going to post some pictures, but since I'm tweaking a couple of the cards a bit, with the ribbon, I'll just wait.. anyhow, I had to share my bemusement (is that a word? ) with doing all these card kits when I don't make cards...I hope it doesn't come across as obnoxious, I really am more bewildered by it...

3 comments:

  1. Anyone that scraps can do cards - they're easy and I'm sure yours are great. So where are the photos? I need a little card inspriation myself since I need to do some kits for our local assisted living place.
    And yikes TWO HUNDRED FORTY! That's way too many! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I were going to the women's retreat, just to check out the cards!!! :) I'm sure you'll do great!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies, for the votes of confidence :) I'll post some pictures when I'm finally finished tweaking the ribbon on them- I got some different ribbon today, then realized I should probably use pop up dots on one of them, one of those "duh" moments from replicating a design to the "t" too much that I didn't think about the fact that it might look better with more dimension... I wish you were going to the Retreat too, Mariah!

    ReplyDelete