shabby blogs design

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Fall Blessings/Give Thanks Wood block decor




I decided to try this out in the same manner I did the wood blocks for the photo holder craft, it was all looking good ( to me) until I inked.. now I'm not so thrilled with it, even though it does add a bit more to it. Don't you just hate it when you are making something and you're liking the way it looks, and add just ONE more detail, and it's a commitment detail that you can't really undo, and then you don't like it much after that point. Bah!!! Anyway, I used extra scraps of wood left over from the wood photo holder project. I can use it for early Fall and then around Thanksgiving too...

4 comments:

  1. I think it looks amazing! How did you do it? We (my 3 young kids and I) are decorating for Fall tomorrow while Daddy is backpacking. So cute!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks so much! I used Mod Podge glue (but good old Elmer's thinned down a bit with water would work fine too) brushed lightly on the wood- any wood scraps will work, they don't have to be the same size at all :). Try not to use too much glue on the wood or when you put the paper down it will pucker up and wrinkle like crazy. You can still smooth it down while it's drying. After a few minutes, use some sandpaper to sand lightly around the edges, until you get the look you like. When it was completly dry, I used a brown ink pad around the edges- but obviously by my comments in the post, I didn't like how it ended up- I still like inking, it just didn't look the way I wanted it to with this craft.. Now all you need is letters- you could use a Cricut if you have one- I used vinyl with it, so they stuck by themselves, or paper. You could stamp, hand cut letters, don't let not having a die cut machine stop you if that's the case. You could even paint the letters on- that could be really cute, especially if you're having trouble finding Fall-ish papers that you like, just paint your blocks in Fall colors and paint letters on. The last little touch was the ribbon, I thought it added a nice look to it. I hope you're able to make a fun Fall decoration with wood scraps/blocks, it really came together fast :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute!! You did such a great job with them!! Thanks so much for the nice comment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you let me know what size wood you used for this? I am wanting to make some!!! : )

    ReplyDelete